Monday, November 28, 2005

New books

Waterstones had a 20% off everything sale on this weekend so the 3 for 2 offer was impossible to resist. I got 3 which I have been eyeing up for a while:
"We need to talk about Kevin" which is an award (Orange book prize - whatever that is!) winning novel and looks interesting, if a bit intense.

Buy number two is the story of the Indpendent film industry, Sundance etc, in Hollywood in the 80s (I forget the title just now) and I must get it's predecessor which is the tales of the young gun film makers in the 70's (Scorcese etc). I love good books on the film industry.

And the final one (free one!) I got is the new Dawkins (The Ancestor's Tale) which looks like it takes in the whole of evolution in one go. Maybe going to be a tough one to get through in one sitting ...

Am at present lumbering through the Mr Strange and Mr... (have even forgotten the title) magicians in the 19th century thing. It's dragging and I may have to skip and speed read to finish it, which is a shame as it started really well.

I have got two climbing books to read as well which were given to me as gifts, including the one by the guy who hacked his own arm with a penknife off to escape after being trapped by a falling boulder for 3 days in a Utah canyon. He even took pictures of it as well. Nutter. The other book is the one about the two Jamies trapped in a storm at the notch at the top of Les Droites for 3 nights. Only one escaped with his life and he lost his hands and feet to frostbite. How come all big selling climbing books are about disasters? Doesn't paint the sport in a very, hmmm, sane light does it? I guess 'normal' climbing days out never warrant a book eh?

And finally ... I'm going to have to find to good sci fi to get back into one of these days.

No comments: