Monday, July 31, 2006

The Salford Triathlon

So, I did it. And it was ace.
Here's my result

Position: 235 Category position: 53
No 367 Golborne Andrew, Male M40-49
Swim: 0:35:55
Transition 1 : 0:00:32
Bike: 1:13:10
Transition 2: 02:54
Run: 0:51:11
Total 2:43:41

Under 2:45 is ace. I think so anyhow as before the start I would have been pleased to get under 3 hours.

At best I was thinking 40 minutes for the swim, 1hr 15mins for the cycle and anything up to an hour for the run, plus the transitions - say 5 minutes each. Going into the run and the end of all this was unknown territory. In fact most of it was unknown territory! So looking at the split times I think I did everything about as good as I thought I could do. Still only 53rd though which I am amazed to find myself a bit annoyed about! Seeing as I did so well by my own standards it seems that all of a sudden I have become rather competitive about my position. I’ll aim for 2hrs 30 next time!

Anyhow, there were lots of nice folk in the transition around me before the start and the guy next to me was offering sound advice and helped me zip up the wet suit etc. Top chap. I’d also had a good look around the day before, including a ride round most of the bike course. Consequently I did actually feel pretty relaxed by the time we were called to the dockside for the swim.The swim: Tell you what - I was right about not doing that the second practice trip to the lake as I was fine in the end. No real nerves amazingly. We all got in, jumping off the low pontoon and it was good to get a feel of being in there for a few minutes before the off. The water was warm enough so you didn't actually notice it - the elite groups didn't bother with wet suits. And it was very clean too. Lots of chatting while we were floating about and nice that everyone wished everyone around them 'good 'luck' as we were about to go. Well, they did where I was floating at least.

Here we go then … They got us behind the 'line', did a countdown and away we went. I didn't get into the same state as I had done in the lake at all and managed to keep my breathing under control. It was all a bit frantic and I did faff for about quarter of a lap, getting my head together and finding some open water of my own where I wasn't being swam on, or swimming on top of anyone else. It was incredibly difficult to see where I was going and I had one float on my back and get calmed session not long after the start but quickly got going again. After the first turn I settled down properly and actually enjoyed it, just plodding along trying to concentrate on my stroke. The second of the two laps was easier as I'd picked out landmarks along the dock side and so roughly knew where I was. There was a large bridge right across about two thirds of the was down which was a good marker to get set for the turn at the end, and at the other there was the Lowry buildings. There were also huge inflatable buoys right round the inside of the turns so navigation was Ok there, even if it did get a bit crowded, but the straight bits were easy and pretty soon I was on the last straight towards the transition. At the end I was a bit all over the place looking up to find the exit, but there were friendly marshalls guiding us in and offering advice about when to stop swimming and start staggering out of the water.

I was wobbly as hell coming out of the water, and weaved my way to the transition, but did manage to get my wet suit off down to my waist as I ran no problem which was satisfying. It seemed a long way to my bike though.Once there it was do that alternate foot stamp down on the wet suit thing to get it off your legs and feet ... a big drink and a squeeze a gel bar down. Get socks, shoes and hat on, unrack bike and then leg it to the mounting point ... All pretty smooth and once on the bike I found I was really giving it plenty, mainly as I was happy to have done the swim!

The bike time I was chuffed about as I averaged 20+ mph for 25 miles and there were a lot of sharp bends on the 8 lap course. It felt good and I enjoyed it. There was one big long drag of a hill which was into what breeze there was which was killing off people - I did lots of passing on that bit. I indulged in target orientated cycling: seeing people ahead and estimating how long it would take to get past them. This kept me amused for an hour anyhow, as I have to admit did the fit girls in swimsuits who were now with us, having started half an hour earlier. The mountain bike corners noticeably better than the tri bikes that most of the others were using so I was just lashing round the bends and slingshotting it past people in doing so. Great fun. There was one particular corner on the fastest bit of the course with furniture positioned awkwardly but I found after lap two that if I took a really wide line into it I could just get round at full tilt whereas loads of people were braking hard and losing all their hard earned momentum. As I said – there were a few things which kept me amused around my eight laps.

Transition 2: It again seemed a long way to the back of the transition area running with my bike after the dismount. Rack the bike and just the shoe change this time, and I knocked back another gel feed thing and some fluid, just as I'd done in the first transition. The start for the run timing was a good few hundred metres away by the Lowry, hence T2 being seemingly a lot longer than T1.

The run: Christ my legs felt like jelly coming out of transition, so I plodded - as I had no choice. The up and over the Lowry bridge at the start was just plain painful and I was a bit worried, but soon settled down into a decent rhythm. I was just not sure though how much I had left in the tank and didn't want to do too much and cramp up. Plus I had indigestion from that stupid gel bar thing as it would not go down. It felt like hard work, seemed to drag on and I didn't really manage to relax until the fourth and final lap - knowing that the end was in site. I could see my time too at the end of each lap by the finish line. I seemed to be doing OK which was a boost. The last bit on the last lap eventually came round and that was the up and over the footbridge and down to the front of the Lowry, only to go straight through the finish this time. The reception was tea and medals. Well, just medals. Alasdair Campbell finished just after me by the way. There were a few celebs out on the running course including several of the Emmerdale cast and by the time I finished the sprint and the relay races were on the course. Consequently there were loads of people round the finish arena which was good – I did feel I got a reception at least, even if there was no one there shouting for me in particular… maybe next time. Then it was a wander down to the transition through the crowds, absolutely made up that I'd actually done the thing. Had a chat again with the guys who were near me, we said our goodbuys, packed up and I walked, stiff legged, back to the car to pack up for the drive home. Job done. Now, when's the next one...?

No comments: