Monday, March 23, 2009

To download or not?

So the new Tragically Hip album has leaked to the t'internet, a couple of weeks before it's official release date. Having pre-ordered the album from Maple Music I do feel it's within my rights to fire up uTorrent and download the songs. For my own private use, right, and as long as I don't upload it further then my conscience is clear... Hmm. Well, to be honest it's just good to be able to hear the new stuff and leaked albums is I guess the curse of the internet.
The new material? The polished alt-country sound of the already released lead-off track Morning Moon was a big clue. I can already hear the old school fans whining that Bob Rock has watered down the Hip and that they are not as 'clean' and 'vital' as they once were, and that they need to find a producer who will compliment them. Now this is a band who have been making great albums for over 20 years and you'd think that fans would credit them with knowing what they are doing. It makes me laugh that there are fans who are against a band progressing or evolving in any way. I reckon half the fun of a new Hip album is getting over the changes and strangeness and knowing that repeated listens will always reap rewards.

No comments: