Thursday, June 08, 2006

The joy of front crawl

Well, I feel I've finally cracked front crawl. I started up the swimming about 18 months ago, not being able to do a length of it without a breather, and although I've been able to do the (triathlon) required 1500m (60 lengths) for a while now it's never really... flowed. It's never seemed quite right, and has nearly always been really hard work. However, in the last couple of weeks it's all just clicked - the rotation; the stretching out; the pointy thumb first hand insertion thing above your head; the pull down in the right line; the push back; the breathing to both sides; the kicking from the hips... and all the rest of it.
I really never used to enjoy swimming but I have to say that getting to grips with the sheer technicality of front crawl has seen me go from initial frustration (and exhaustion) to fascination (as I got fitter) and more recently real satisfaction as it's all come together.
I actually like swimming now. I never thought I'd hear myself say that.

No comments: