Monday, April 10, 2006

Permanent dickhead

Yeah, so there's me whining about a bit of hearing loss when I have a daughter who is permanently damaged in a way that most people can't even imagine. Way to go Andy.

It's strange though with Holly, as she's "just Holly" to me. I'm used to her disability, and we all just get on with it. But if I think what it must be like for her to just not be able to do things - not to be able to make her limbs work and her hands open and close properly. Imagine not being able to scratch an itch - any itch... and to not be able to speak and tell people what you want, what you think, or just tell them anything. It's frightening. But, she deals with it -heroically is probably the best word I can think of.

Anyway - I got to take her swimming at the weekend for the first time in ages (with help from friend Jo, who looked after Jamie in the baths). There are many things which just make Holly very happy and swimming is one of them - she's just off kicking and generally giving it some stick with a huge grin on her face. No doubt if she could she'd be jumping in the deep end of the big pool by now - probably off the diving boards. Jamie on the other hand is a wimp and even with armbands on clings to whoever is with him like a limpet. Jo did manage to get him to do a little bit of floating on his own though which was impressive all round.

I have the kids for 6 days after Easter while Liz is off biking round the Lakes or something. What am I going to do with the pair of them for 6 days? I'm sure I'll think of something ...

No comments: